Subject: Re: 2 HD with a powermac 4400/160 (the scoop: long)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/27/2001 11:14:33
Chris Tribo wrote:

> The really new machines might support slave booting, but I've not
> seen any reports of anyone having tried it. Even the Slot loading iMac
> DV's have two IDE channels (Running on a _single_ ribbon cable no less),
> and putting a second hard drive in an iMac would be,
> well...interesting. Perhaps the newer G4's can. Has anyone tried with a
> Sawtooth G3/G4,G4 Digital Audio or Quicksilver yet?

I can report that the G4(AGP) [late 2000] model supports slave booting.  Mac
OS (either incarnation) will happily boot off either master or slave.
NetBSD will boot off either, but default build always looks at wd0 (the
master) for the root volume, regardless of what drive the kernel is resident
on.

I'd recommend putting NetBSD on the master (wd0) and any MacOS stuff on the
slave.  ofwboot.xcf goes on an HFS+ partition on the slave.

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com