Subject: Re: pcmcia/cardbus support
To: Phil Frost <daboy@xgs.dyn.dhs.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2001 17:46:43
At 7:21 PM -0500 7/26/01, Phil Frost wrote:
>I don't know about bsd, but linux the serial driver can use DTR/CTS flow
>control instead of the usual RTS/CTS. This is usefull only when using the
>serial port in rs-232 mode (that's what pcs and most modems use). When
>doing a mac<->mac connection rs-232 isn't used. I don't recall the name of
>the serial protocall mac uses, but I do know it uses twisted pair and is much,
>much faster.

I think you are talking about LocalTalk.  That's a CSMA/CD usage of
the port (like Ethernet) that runs at 230kbits/second.  Not supported
by NetBSD at this time.

I suspect that the problem is what Greg Kritsch said really
(interrupt handling) and stand corrected.  Since nobody seems to be
using serial ports much there could be multiple problems I suppose.
*sigh*

Cross my heart, strike me dead, stick a lobster on my head.
John Crichton -- Farscape, 6/15/01