Subject: Re: 1.5.1 iso images now available
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2001 12:04:32
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

: BTW, I've updated the FAQ CD-R entry with examples of how to boot the CD,
: since MacOS and the Open Firmware 'dir' command can't see the ISO portion
: of the disk (so you can't just figure out what the kernel is called).

Hm.  I had thought that ofwboot tried more than one kernel name (...like the
other, ahem, sane libsa booters do :), including "netbsd.macppc".  If it
doesn't, this is a bug that must be fixed, and I'll file a PR.  All libsa
booters should fall back to "netbsd.MACHINE" if opening "netbsd" fails.

: Todd, for the next release, could you put a little how to boot README
: and/or the INSTALL.* files in the HFS partition?

Yah.  I'd been fiddling with the hide-hfs stuff because it doesn't work
quite right.  The pattern matching employed by mkisofs frankly sucks.

It's necessary to hide many of the files from HFS on a multi-arch CD,
because a HFS filesystem makes mkisofs align files differently (resulting in
a **much** bigger filesystem if everything is also included in HFS).  I'll
try to make sure that the HFS side includes the install notes, and may
upload a replacement image that does this later.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/