Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: NetBSD macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: caportel <caportel@terra.com.br>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/21/2001 06:36:24
on 7/20/01 4:44 PM, Chris Tribo at t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu wrote:

>> I don't know if this could work on your machine, but yesterday I was playing
>> around with my Beige G3's OF - 2.0f1 - and discovered it can boot from the
>> NetBSD CD not directly on OF (that's what I always tried), but on the
>> environment this way:
>
> This is a bug/design failure of the ROM and/or the SystemDisk
> patches. You *must* have the boot-device pointing to the device and
> partition you are booting from AND reset-all AND then either "boot" or
> type boot and the same path as is in the boot-device variable. You seem to
> have to reboot even when changing partition numbers in boot-device in
> order for you to be able to boot from it in OFW. (from trying to boot the
> MacOS X CD)

You're right, it was the Startup Disk's  nvramrc patches for Mac OS X. When
you switch to Mac OS 9.x, the nvramrc remains. It was a very strange
behavior indeed for this OF.

>> setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
>> setenv boot-file netbsd.macppc
>> reset-all
>
> Is the boot-file environment needed? I never needed it for
> anything.

In this case with the patches, yes.

>> About floppies, the boot.fs image works fine for me with:
>>
>> boot fd:0
>
> If all else fails, you could try removing the patches, there's a
> chance that they actually cause problems with your machine.

I cleaned up the patches after a PRAM reset and I could see that there's no
other way to boot sysinst except by the floppy image. These were really good
to fix this OF issue. Now, my last chance is to try the new macppccd.

Carlos Portela