Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2001 11:32:19
At 11:53 PM -0500 7/19/01, Donald Lee wrote:
>This is all about my Beige OF 2.4 machine.  One of the very late model
>G3 beige machines.  I've run NetBSD on it, but only by swapping out the ROM
>stick.  I want to boot without that drastic measure.
>
>I've been struggling with this lately.
>
>I have a hybrid CD, a floppy, and a tftp server.  I have tried the various
>suggestions kindly fwd'd on the list.
>
>The best I can do is a complete load from ofwboot.xcf (load of
>text, data, bss - clearing text, data, bss, and then CLAIM FAILED)
>All three boot methods do this.  They get most of the way through
>
>CD, floppy, and netboot all behave about the same, except that the CD
>seems to require part 2, and UPPER CASE:
>
>	boot ide1/disk:2,\OFWBOOT.XCF
>
>but it does the CLAIM FAILED too.
>
>BTW - I like the DOS floppy setup.  That was really easy to set up.
>Too bad it does not work.  Note: the floppy driver DOES appear to
>load the software from the floppy.

Sounds like it's a problem that has nothing to do with the load
method.  Presume you have checked all your OF settings, load base,
etc.  For testing I suggest you spell out *everything* on the boot
command line since that removes some OF interactions with env
variables.

Out of curiosity have you been able to get the other partition on the
hybrid CD to work?  I think 2 is the ISO partition and 1 is the hfs
one.  That would be something like:

boot cd:1,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.ram.gz -s

I know it isn't supposed to work on OF 1.0.5, but I haven't gotten to
trying myself.

Cross my heart, strike me dead, stick a lobster on my head.
John Crichton -- Farscape, 6/15/01