Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: NetBSD macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: caportel <caportel@terra.com.br>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2001 05:49:48
on 7/20/01 1:53 AM, Donald Lee at donlee_ppc@icompute.com wrote:

> The best I can do is a complete load from ofwboot.xcf (load of
> text, data, bss - clearing text, data, bss, and then CLAIM FAILED)
> All three boot methods do this.  They get most of the way through
>
> CD, floppy, and netboot all behave about the same, except that the CD
> seems to require part 2, and UPPER CASE:
>
> boot ide1/disk:2,\OFWBOOT.XCF
>
> but it does the CLAIM FAILED too.
>
> BTW - I like the DOS floppy setup.  That was really easy to set up.
> Too bad it does not work.  Note: the floppy driver DOES appear to
> load the software from the floppy.

I don't know if this could work on your machine, but yesterday I was playing
around with my Beige G3's OF - 2.0f1 - and discovered it can boot from the
NetBSD CD not directly on OF (that's what I always tried), but on the
environment this way:

setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
setenv boot-file netbsd.macppc
reset-all

After the reboot I got Sysinst in a few seconds.

So evident. I really must spend more time with NetBSD...

About floppies, the boot.fs image works fine for me with:

boot fd:0

Carlos Portela