Subject: Re: Some more on MacOS X Filesystem Interoperability
To: NetBSD/macppc list <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2001 22:55:30
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:09:57PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> Someone else (was it here or on darwin-development?) said that OSX
> uses the NextStep flavor of FFS, which is different in only a couple
> of size parameters, but *is* different.

I commented here that someone on one of the darwin lists said OSX uses
the OpenStep flavor of FFS.  Judging strictly by the code in the Linux
ufs driver (I am not a filesystem expert nor do I play one on TV :) ),
it looks like the NextStep FFS is built upon 43BSD ffs while OpenStep
FFS is build upon 44BSD ffs.  Specifically, for NextStep, the driver
uses flags:

  flags |= UFS_DE_OLD | UFS_UID_OLD | UFS_ST_OLD | UFS_CG_OLD;

while for OpenStep is uses flags:

  flags |= UFS_DE_44BSD | UFS_UID_44BSD | UFS_ST_44BSD | UFS_CG_44BSD;

(I take OLD here to mean 43BSD).  Quoting from the comments in an
include file, these flags correspond to the directory entry encoding,
uid encoding, superblock state encoding, and cylinder group encoding.

John