Subject: Re: New user...
To: Tim Howe <thowe@bhengineers.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2001 16:12:39
On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Tim Howe wrote:

> I'm a FreeBSD and OpenBSD user who needs a laptop, so I decided on an iBook
> and I want to put NetBSD on it...

Cool.  Nice setup.

> But before purchasing, I was wondering what kind of problems I would run
> into.  Is there an iBook howto or anything?  Is any of the iBook hardware
> not supported yet?  ANything would be helpful.

No special iBook HOWTO, since it is not significantly different to install
or run NetBSD.  The only caveats are to use 1.5.1 or a somewhat recent
-current kernel, as the built-in keyboard wasn't supported before.  If you
use a -current kernel, then there is Airport support, but it hasn't been
widely tested.  AFAIK, the internal modem isn't supported.  Don't press
the fn-PgUp key combo, it is the same keystroke as the 'eject PCMCIA'
button on the PowerBook 2400.  You might want to run XFree86 instead of
Xmacppc.

That's about it.

Have fun,
  -- MW