Subject: Re: Tell me again why we want floppy images?
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2001 11:07:46
At 9:50 PM -0700 7/17/01, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>At 11:42 AM -0700 7/17/01, "Henry B. Hotz" wrote:
>:)I just formatted a 1.44MB floppy as MS-DOS and copied ofwboot.xcf and
>:)netbsd.ram.gz onto it.  I renamed the latter to netbsd.gz.
>:)
>:)It boots on an OF 1.0.5 machine with
>:)
>:)boot fd:1,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.gz
>:)
>:)No DiskCopy, no SunTar, no nothing, straight into the installer.
>:)Obviously ofwboot got a little smarter somewhere along the line.
>
>That is definitely easier.  The next question is "will it work on all
>models that have floppy drives".
>
>Can some people check their other OF 1.0.5 and OF 2.0.x and 2.4 machines to
>see if this works?  Once there's enough consensus that this method
>universally works, I'm all for changing the instructions/FAQ.

Somewhere I think the FAQ says we don't support msdos floppies.  From
my test I guess the real situation is that we don't support the
floppy drive directly, but ofwboot can access the drive with OF, and
we *do* support the filesystem format?

If that's the case then anyone know if we could support the drive
with the OF drivers?  I know those drivers are notoriously flakey,
but they work well enough for me to boot with.

Cross my heart, strike me dead, stick a lobster on my head.
John Crichton -- Farscape, 6/15/01