Subject: Open Firmware and boot syntax
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Baudoin <babafou@babafou.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/17/2001 22:26:13
Hi,

I've just installed NetBSD 1.5.1 on my iBook (dual USB).
Although I've been using NetBSD/i386 since the time of 386BSD, I
must admit I'm a bit confused by the Mac environment so I'll ask
a few questions during the next days (and I'll report on the
install, during which I had a few problems).

But first I need some clues about the way to boot NetBSD from
Open Firmware (which is OF 3, by the way).  I've got several
partitions on my disk.  The first one is an HFS+ (just to play
with Mac OS X), the second one is the NetBSD wd0a partition and
so on.  As stated in the INSTALL file, I've copied ofwboot.xcf to
the HFS+ partition.  The problem is I can't have it boot the
kernel located on the FFS wd0a partition.  I thought using:

boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf hd:1,/netbsd

but it doesn't work.  I have to copy the kernel to the HFS+
partition and make ofwboot.xcf load this last one:

boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf hd:,/netbsd

So, what is the correct syntax?

--
Marc Baudoin   -=-   <babafou@babafou.eu.org>