Subject: Playing around, was: FFS types
To: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2001 18:22:58
At 9:46 PM -0500 7/11/01, John Valdes wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 10:12:01AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> > I notice that if I newfs a partition under MacOS X I can mount it in
> > the install kernel of NetBSD.  I can't do the converse:  OSX fsck
> > complains about something with the directories being 1024 instead of
> > 512.
>In the Linux ufs driver, I only see these differences between the two:

I take that as meaning that they aren't exactly compatible, but it
would be easy for someone to provide the support in NetBSD.

I did a little poking and it looks like OSX has better msdosfs
support than netbsd since you can explicitly newfs_msdos a partition
to FAT 12, 16, or 32 while NetBSD will only let you newfs_msdos a
floppy-sized object (according to the manual).  I was able to newfs a
FAT 32 partition under OSX and mount it in the NetBSD installer, but
I got some strange errors after that.  Maybe a FAT 16 would work on
mount even if NetBSD won't create them?

I also noticed that newfs under OSX can create BSD 4.3 ffs partitions
with the -O option.  I was able to mount that partition under the
NetBSD installer, but there seemed to be some fsck errors that
wouldn't go away, or kept reappearing.

Some of the errors I'm seeing may be artifacts of sysinst not wanting
to install sets from the same disk as the installation target.  I
know it did a fsck while the disk was already mounted one time.  I
need to check the right tar options to install the sets manually.
tar zxvpf did not seem to be happy.  Maybe I should checksum the
tarballs to make sure they came over correctly.

Not sure if this post is really helpful, but not sure I'll be able to
spend much more time on it either.

Cross my heart, strike me dead, stick a lobster on my head.
John Crichton -- Farscape, 6/15/01