Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: Donald Lee <donlee@icompute.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2001 10:17:56
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Donald Lee wrote:

> >	What's your LOAD-BASE and REAL-BASE set to, and are you using a
> >new version of ofwboot.xcf. For a while there was an old copy that was
> >compiled to load at an incorrect address when netbooting. Load should be
> >600000 and real should be F00000. Then reset-all to make sure the changes
> >go into effect. Getting netboots to work correctly on old world machines
> >has been known to cause you to pull your hair out.

I missed this the first time. Netbooting is easy - I do it every day. The
trick is to set LOAD-BASE to a WRONG value, and it works. When it's
supposed to be 600000, I set it to 640000. Note: I set it to the right
value if I try to boot a floppy.

I think the problem is that the OFW loader assumes a small file, and uses
a scratch area above LOAD-BASE for temporary storage. It then loads the
file, looks at the header, and loads it to the right place. But if the
scratch area was within the size of the loaded file, when it tries to
malloc space for the file, it can't (CLAIM FAILED errors).

Take care,

Bill