Subject: Re: ofwboot.elf
To: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2001 09:28:15
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Andrew Cagney wrote:

: > Right, the same big hill that prevens us from running on pre-OFW PowerMacs.
: > By "screwed", I meant in the context of our in kernel OFW-based device
: > information retrieval, to which you referred.
:
: Just to clarify something about this.  Is this in anyway a proposal to
: remove NetBSD's ability to chat (via callbacks) to OF devices once the
: kernel is up and running?

Partly yes, but it doesn't have to be precisely that way, since the OFW code
is already there and working.

The point of this interaction betwen Bill and I was that some ways of
booting, and indeed running on pre-OFW PowerMacs, requires that we operate
independently of OFW. In most cases we could do that just fine, provided we
have a device tree prepared ahead of time to describe what the system has
(and where).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/