Subject: Re: Booting firewire external hard drives
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2001 12:00:38
> Mutt made me believe that Michael Wolfson wrote:
> > Absolutely.  Apple expressly listed that in some of the FirmWare updates
> > they have posted.  I have no doubts that MacOS can be booted from FireWire
> > on newer machines, or older ones with the FirmWare update, but can NetBSD?
>
> NetBSD's Firewire support is 'not there yet'. At least not enough to
> use hard discs, I was told.

Indeed it isn't. That doesn't meen you can't load a kernel from a FW
disk, though; you just wouldn't be able to use the disk once you've
booted.

There are lots of cases like this where the firmware understands one
set of devices and the kernel understands a different set; this is not
a novel situation.

        - Nathan