Subject: Random hangs with Xmacppc?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/09/2001 15:00:16
So I'm sitting here at this PowerMac 6500 I hauled up to Wasabi's
NYC office, and periodically, X just locks up.

Once, when I was initially setting the machine up, I got a ddb
prompt (in the wscons font) written to the screen when this
happened, but I wrote that off to X libs out of sync with the rest
of the system and forgot it. But now I find that, after random
periods of time, X just locks up.

This is all kind of infuriating since we don't really have wscons
support (at least, not enough for virtual consoles, so I could
switch back and see if ttyE0 had a ddb prompt on it), and there is,
predictably no crash dump after I kick the machine's power.

So, my question is, is this a chronic problem other people actually
using the console on their macppc machines (which I never have
before) are dealing with, or is it more likely that I've just got
wonky video or adb hardware (both of which are possibilities)?

Seems to only happen in X, fwiw... that is, this machine ran for a
long time headless with no problems, but its video hardware was
theoretically printing console messages to nothing all that time.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net