Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2 on iBook2))
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/06/2001 10:47:32
Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com> writes:

> The installation instructions in the 1.5.1 release (and 1.5.1_BETA2) work
> for all models that NetBSD/macppc supports.  You do not need to do any
> special trickery or avoid use of sysinst.  You don't need to find a special
> kernel, patch the ADB driver, or manually install the distribution sets.
> Just follow the directions in INSTALL.html.
>
> Download NetBSD-1.5.1_BETA2 (or 1.5.1 final in about a week).  Follow the
> instructions in INSTALL.html.
>
> The procedure in INSTALL will work on all supported models, including
> PowerBook (FireWire), PowerBook G4 (Titanium), iBook, iBook SE, iBook (Dual
> USB), and presumably iBook (FireWire).

I gave the 1.5.1_BETA2 snapshot and directions a whirl on my new iBook
(Dual USB).

First problem: boot syntax. Eventually "boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf" worked,
but explicitly providing a partition number ("boot hd:n,ofwboot.xcf")
failed, for all values of n 0..9. Values of n > 1 failed with:
"MAC-PARTS: specified partition is not valid can't OPEN: hd:<n>,ofwboot.xcf"
Which I guess tells me that it really is on partition 0. Using 0 comes
up with:
"DISK-LABEL: LOAD (noninterposed) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1"
an error to which I found a few references online, but nothing useful.

("hd" is devalias'd to "/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-3@20000/disk@0")

Next problem: The directions in "Boot off an HFS or HFS+ partition (OF
2.4, OF 3)". That section says to place boot.fs in your top level
directory and tell ofwboot.xcf to get the kernel there. That doesn't
work. I don't know if it's supposed to work (does ofwboot.xcf really
know how to open up a floppy image and find a kernel?), or if that
should instead refer to netbsd.ram.gz, which did work.

Next and most show-stoppingly, once that kernel booted, it failed to
attach many devices. In particular, it failed to configure obio0
("vendor 0x106b product 0x0025 (undefined subclass 0x00) at pci1 dev
23 function 0 not configured") and hence didn't find the keyboard or
disk. The bottom of the screen had the small-font message "method
<`usb-kbd-ihandle> not found; ihandle=ffbc90c0 phandle=ff92eb50". It
also failed to configure gm0 ("vemdor 0x106b product 0x0025 (ethernet
network) at pci2 dev 15 function 0 not configured").

The keyboard doesn't work. Is that a consequence of failing to
configure the ADB keyboard, or something more evil?

Ideas?

        - Nathan