Subject: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/05/2001 09:10:17
I have a beige G3 w/ OF 2.4 that I have yet to get booting with any
flavor of NetBSD.  My OF 1.0.5 machines and my B&W G3 (OF 3) boot fine.
The only way I have managed to boot the OF 2.4 machine is to swap
out the ROM stick for an older (OF 2.0.1) boot ROM.

It appears that regardless of what I try, booting from HFS/IDE, HFS/SCSI,
CD, netboot, or floppy, nothing gets very far.  I've done best
with the netboot, where it finds the ofwboot.xcf and then dies with
CLAIM FAILED.

Most of the examples and other info on the list is aimed at OF 3 machines.
The OF 2.4 machines appear to be fairly rare. (lucky me. :-p )

My question: I'm reading on this list that OF 2.4 can be made to behave.
Is this verifiably true?  I have gotten indications in the past that this
machine may be hopeless, but recent list traffic indicates that it can
be made to work.

???

-dgl-