Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2 on iBook2))
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Edouard G. Parmelan <egp@free.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/05/2001 12:16:14
On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:05:23AM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> Download NetBSD-1.5.1_BETA2 (or 1.5.1 final in about a week).  Follow the
> instructions in INSTALL.html.

On Tue, May 22, 2001, I have downloaded 20010509-1.5.1_BETA2.tar.gz.
Reading today INSTALL.txt from this snapshot:

     [...]

     o   Boot off an HFS or HFS+ partition
         (Open Firmware 2.4, Open Firmware 3)

         Place ofwboot.xcf and the boot floppy image boot.fs at the top level
         of your Macintosh filesystem. Use a MacOS utility such as Stuffit
         Expander to uncompress the boot floppy image (if it's compressed).
         Get to the Open Firmware prompt. Boot the bootloader, and tell it to
         look for the kernel in the boot floppy image.

         Skip forward to Partitioning your hard drive for NetBSD

     [...]

     o   IDE or SCSI drive from an HFS or HFS+ IDE0
         (Open Firmware 2.4, Open Firmware 3)

         MacOS drives have several system-level `partitions reserved for'
         MacOS drivers.  You may find that your first HFS or HFS+ partition
         might be as high as partition 9.  You may need to keep trying higher
         partition numbers until you find the one that has your bootloader.

         Also, since the bootloader is on a different partition from the NetB-
         SD kernel, you will need to specify where to find the kernel.

         Remember, that SCSI Zip disks are usually ID 5 or 6. Internal hard
         drives are usually SCSI ID 0.

         Here are some examples of what you might use to boot from such a
         drive:

               0 > boot scsi/sd@0:9,ofwboot.xcf scsi/sd@0:10,netbsd
               0 > boot ide0/disk@0:7,ofwboot.xcf ide0/disk@0:9,netbsd
               0 > boot hd:8,ofwboot.xcf ultra1:3,netbsd

     Common Problems and Error Messages

     This is a brief list of some of the Open Firmware problems you may run
     into.  See the NetBSD/macppc FAQ for a thorough list.
           http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html

     Note:  You may find it necessary to remove all non-Apple devices in your
            machine.  Some users have found this necessary.

I place ofwboot.cxf and boot.fs at the top level of my HFS+ partition.

In Open Firmware, I have enter the following command:

    0 > boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf boot.fs

But this bootloader (XCOFF) can't find boot.fs.

I place ofwboot.elf (this is not in INSTALL.txt :-) at the top level
of my HFS+ partition.

    0 > boot hd,ofwboot.elf boot.fs

Then NetBSD Insall start until it reach the question

    "Terminal type? [vt100]"

but my keyboard seems dead.

I have _not_ apply Firmware update 4.1.7 or 4.1.8 but my iBook (Dual
USB) was shipped with Mac OS X installed.  In a previous mail, put a
copy of Open Firmware banner and I think it's 4.2.0f4 firmware.

    Apple PowerBook4,1 4.2.0f4 BootROM built on 04/10/01 at 13:40:51

Better bug report ?  Yes, I can.  When I'm under 1024x768 text screen.
When NetBSD boot, it's look like I'm in a 800x600 text screen size
center into my 1024x768 screen.  In this conditions, I have the
following (may be OF log ?) at bottom of 1024x768 screen:

    method <`usb-kbd-handle> not found; ihandle=ffbc90c0 phandle=ff92eb50

If some one could give me access to ofwboot.elf and boot.fs of 1.5.1, I
can test it and report success or failure.

Hope this helps.
--
Edouard G. Parmelan
http://egp.free.fr