Subject: Re: Contradiction?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/04/2001 19:56:01
At 10:39 PM -0400 7/4/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

:)On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 07:22:21PM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
:)> Clear?
:)
:)As long as this:
:)
:)> or HFS+ partition. Due to Open Firmware pickiness, it must be on the sam=
:)> partition as ofwboot.xcf.
:)
:)>        0 > boot ide0/disk@0:10,ofwboot.xcf ide0/disk@0:9,boot.fs
:)                             ^^^^                       ^^^
:)Isn't a contradiction by way of a typo, (and I don't think it is),
:)ist kl=E4r.

It's not a typo.  The kernel (not encapsulated in a filesystem) must be on
the same partition as ofwboot.xcf, but the kernel (encapsulated in a
filesystem) must be on the same partition as ofwboot.xcf.

:)It's hard to be clear about OF stuff even when you are entirely
:)explicit. I'd say you're the latter rather than the former.

I *know*.  Grrr.  Thanks.

:)This is
:)going to take several reads for someone new to this to make sense of
:)it, but there really isn't a better way. OF just *is* confusing.

Ah, but there is a better way!  We need to import BootX from Darwin.

  -- MW