Subject: Re: DiskCopy to make NetBSD Disks
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/04/2001 19:52:37
At 1:42 PM -0400 6/25/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

:)On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:13:32PM +0200, Denis Ahrens wrote:
:)> Open Apples Disk Copy (6.3.3) and call the Utility/Make Floppy menu.
:)> Then select the file boot.fs, which is 1474846 bytes long. Voila!
:)
:)Yep, this definitely works.

And I can assure you it doesn't work on my system.
   The Make Floppy operation did not complete.
   (-54)
                                           OK

It gives me this message after I pick "Utilities:Make a Floppy" and select
the boot.fs in the dialog box.  It doesn't even try to access the floppy
drive.

So, what's different?

PowerMacintosh 8500 with 300 MHz G3
MacOS 8.6
Disk Copy 6.3.3
NetBSD 1.5.1_BETA2 boot floppy downloaded in binary mode from ftp.netbsd.org
Original drive, never given me any problems and works fine writing via suntar

:)I guess no one had actually *tried*, just presumed that Disk Copy was
:)too dumb. (DiskCopy 4 actually is, of course, and yes, I did try way
:)back when.)

I had.  I put a few hours into figuring it out the first time Denis posted,
and I still can't get it working.

:)Could someone please add this procedure to the FAQ? It's a lot
:)easier for new users to deal with than suntar.

Of course, once we figure out why it's not working for me.

Any suggestions?

  -- MW

:)Just to be absolutely pedantic about things, the process is this:
:)
:)1. Download boot.fs (any boot.fs... I just used the one from my
:)20010404 snapshot and successfully booted a beige G3, so the file
:)size Denis lists above is not particularly relevant). Make sure you
:)do this in BINARY MODE!
:)
:)2. Launch Apple Disk Copy at least version 6.3.3 (other 6.x versions
:)may work, but I haven't personally tried).
:)
:)3. Select Utilities->Make a Floppy
:)
:)4. Select boot.fs in the resulting dialog.
:)
:)5. Insert a good HD floppy.
:)
:)Thanks a lot for persisting on this Denis. We were being silly. :^>
:)
:)--
:)       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net