Subject: Re: Contradiction?
To: Tristan Petersen <skypie@mac.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/04/2001 19:22:21
Howdy, I finally got around to reading this thread.

Just to be clear -- the version of the INSTALL notes you were reading are
for an older version of NetBSD.  The -current version, and the
soon-to-be-released NetBSD 1.5.1 have a much better worded description of
the kernel-on-HFS(+) issue.  I've had the better description in place since
BETA2.

Sorry it took so long to get back to y'all.

Here's what the 1.5.1 release notes say:

--------------------

HFS or HFS+ file system
(Open Firmware 2.4, Open Firmware 3)

This method loads ofwboot.xcf from an HFS or HFS+ partition which then
loads the kernel from an acceptable source (such as an FFS partition or an
HFS or HFS+ partition). The FFS-based kernel may be on the boot floppy
image (boot.fs) located on an HFS or HFS+ partition, or located on a full
FFS partition.

Alternatively, the kernel (compressed or non-compressed) may be on an HFS
or HFS+ partition. Due to Open Firmware pickiness, it must be on the same
partition as ofwboot.xcf.

--------------------

Boot off an HFS or HFS+ partition
(Open Firmware 2.4, Open Firmware 3)

Place ofwboot.xcf and the boot floppy image boot.fs at the top level of
your Macintosh filesystem. Use a MacOS utility such as Stuffit Expander to
uncompress the boot floppy image (if it's compressed). Get to the Open
Firmware prompt. Boot the bootloader, and tell it to look for the kernel in
the boot floppy image.

Alternatively, copy a kernel to the same partition as ofwboot.xcf. It may
be compressed or uncompressed, it should make no difference. Get to the
Open Firmware prompt. Boot the bootloader, and tell it to look for the
kernel you copied to your HFS or HFS+ partition.

Skip forward to Installing the NetBSD System

--------------------

Here are some examples of what you might use to boot the boot floppy image
located on an HFS or HFS+ partition (note, you must use the path to the
floppy image):

       0 > boot scsi/sd@0:9,ofwboot.xcf scsi/sd@0:9,boot.fs
       0 > boot ide0/disk@0:10,ofwboot.xcf ide0/disk@0:9,boot.fs
       0 > boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:9,boot.fs

Here are some examples of what you might use to boot a kernel located on
the same HFS or HFS+ partition as the bootloader (note, you do not specify
a path to the kernel name):

       0 > boot ultra1:9,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.ram.gz
       0 > boot hd:10,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.GENERIC.gz

Clear?

  -- MW