Subject: Re: powermac 5500/225 installation woes
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/08/2001 17:45:43
On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:59:07AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:51:28PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > (remaining probs: don't see anything on the kbd/screen of machine in
> >  question.. getty is running on ttyE0, wscons.conf has screen 0 uncommented,
> >  wsdisplay0 at ofb0 etc, the other prob is the dodgy dec21041)
>
> What machine is this?

Power Macintosh 5500/225

> What version of OpenFirmware (precisely)?

2.0.3

> What video chipset? As what does NetBSD detect the video chipset (see
> dmesg)?

ofb0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0: ATI Technologies Mach64 GT
ofb0: 832 x 624, 8bpp

> With certain versions of OF, you may be completely hosed.

That's what I'm beginning to think...
(enet doesn't appear as a device under OF either => no net boot)

> With others, it'll be necessary to go through some shenanigans
> (maybe even hard reseting a few times when you reboot until the
> monitor syncs) to use the built-in video hardware.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-boot-serial
>
> ... but it may not help enough.

I think I'm beyond that now.. I have a serial console on ttyb, and as per
brief description above,

rc.conf: wscons=YES
wscons.conf: screen  0       -       vt100
ttys: ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
/dev/ttyE0: crw-------  1 root  wheel  35, 0

Can't think of anything else...

The other problem is the ethernet card: I am running a kernel built from
Jun 6 14:10 GMT. Switched from de (which was just freezing) to tlp:
tlp0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: DECchip 21041 Ethernet, pass 2.1
(no phy) with options TLP_MATCH_21041, NMBCLUSTERS=4096. Network is very
erratic with "receive ring overrun", and more often than not, it just gives
up. (reget is my friend => actually managed to get my syssrc onto it, and
comp.tgz from the BETA2 snapshot => can experiment - just need
suggestions/clue bat)

Cheers,

Patrick