Subject: Re: Booting G3 rev. A from external SCSI?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Christian Demmer <Christian.Demmer@gmx.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/29/2001 23:49:32

Checked at apple.com and got the latest 2.6.2.

>	b.) is the HD spun up before you try booting off of it?

Yip.

>	c.) is your termination correct?

Hm, better check it. And what did I see, there was a jumper in the
wrong place! I got id 1 instead of 0 (shame on me). So stupidity was
with me in this case. But I never suspected this from the message I
got from open firmware becaue everytime before I entered a wrong
drive location i got a message "can't open" from open firmware.

>	d.) have you installed a G3/G4 ZIF CPU upgrade?

Yes, could this be a problem?

>	If all of those seem to be ok, try axing out the system disk
>nvramrc with "set-defaults" "setenv auto-boot? false" "setenv real-base
>F00000" and "reset-all" then try "boot scsi/@0:0"

Yes it is booting now! Setting real-base was also necessary.

At the moment I am stuck in the single user console. The file system
is mounted read only, so I can't edit rc.conf or do anything else
usefull, but this is probably a new problem.

Many thanks for your support!

Greetings,
   Christian