Subject: Re: RFC: 1.5.1 release notes
To: Ben Zeller <zeller@cif.rochester.edu>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/2001 09:06:12
At 9:59 AM -0400 5/24/01, Ben Zeller wrote:

:)I've read through the install notes, and I'll be taking a stab at installing
:)this weekend onto my 8500 (yay! my cable modem is being installed today!).
:)Just one question, though, because I've read this passage about three dozen
:)times over and it still doesn't make any sense.  On page 18 the install
:)instructions (pdf format) say:

Looks like you're reading a slightly older version of the iNSTALL notes.
The current version I posted on Saturday the 19th says:

Open Firmware 1.0.5, Open Firmware 1.1.22, Open Firmware 2.0.x
You must use the NetBSD installer to partition your disk if you want it to
be bootable. With this release of NetBSD, there is no way to dual-boot
MacOS and NetBSD on one hard drive.

You can use the instructions in this section to partition a disk that may
also be used with MacOS, although a disk prepared in this way will not boot
NetBSD. That means, your root partition (/) must be on a drive prepared
with the NetBSD installer, but the partitions not necessary to boot (for
example /usr, /home, or /export) may be on the same disk as MacOS.

Unless you are planning to use partitions on the same disk as MacOS, skip
forward to Preparing the Bootable Media

Does this make more sense to you?

  -- MW