Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on mac G4 AGP getting me nuts !
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Browne <matthewb@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/16/2001 19:24:32
At 21:37 -0700 15/5/2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

>Hum.  How are you booting it?  CLAIM failed is an Open Firmware error
>message, and not a kernel message.

I've tried quite a few ways, the only ones that comes even close
for the boot kernel being...

boot hd:,\netbsd.ram

and for the regular kernel...

boot hd:,\netbsd.generic

I've tried booting from a hybrid CDROM but with that it fails with
a can't open device error and printing the device...

/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:6,\\:tbxi

>It could also be that the PPC7450 isn't supported, since those CPUs were
>only recently included in new models.  Also I've had reports of people with
>the same motherboard, but the older CPU (in the 466 and 533 MHz model) have
>no troubles with NetBSD 1.5 and later.

Yes, that's what I wondered. I've noticed that no one else has mentioned
getting NetBSD to boot on a 7450 on the list.

>If it's not supported, could you provide more details, such as type in what
>appears on screen so maybe we could try to get it working?

I'll go do that. I'll post it soon.

>:)I'll try the 1.5.2 kernels too.
>
>There's no 1.5.2 yet -- 1.5.1 is the version we're about to release.

Yeah, I meant the new beta 2 snapshot of 1.5.1.

Matt Browne