Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on mac G4 AGP getting me nuts !
To: Matthew Browne <matthewb@ihug.co.nz>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/15/2001 21:37:17
At 8:19 PM +1200 5/14/01, Matthew Browne wrote:

:)Just thought I'd mention I'm having similar problems on
:)a 733Mhz G4+ (PPC7450) with 512MB RAM and Open Firmware 3 (it
:)shipped with the latest firmware) but in my case neither kernel
:)boots. The the 1.5.1 generic kernel fails after the memory tests
:)with:
:)
:)method <'usb-kbd-ihandle> not found; ihandle=ffbc8680 phandle=ff8f2430

This appears on a lot of models and does not appear to mean anything.

:)and in the messages I can see:
:)
:)Symbol table has bad start address.
:)
:)The 1.5.1 install kernel fails almost immediately with:
:)CLAIM failed
:)...just after displaying that it's a NetBSD kernel.

Hum.  How are you booting it?  CLAIM failed is an Open Firmware error
message, and not a kernel message.

It could also be that the PPC7450 isn't supported, since those CPUs were
only recently included in new models.  Also I've had reports of people with
the same motherboard, but the older CPU (in the 466 and 533 MHz model) have
no troubles with NetBSD 1.5 and later.

If it's not supported, could you provide more details, such as type in what
appears on screen so maybe we could try to get it working?

:)I'll try the 1.5.2 kernels too.

There's no 1.5.2 yet -- 1.5.1 is the version we're about to release.

  -- MW