Subject: Networking Fails on New Install
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/13/2001 11:53:47
I am periodically experiencing networking failures. I'd get on the
server after failures and try to ping the machine I had telnetted in
from. I'd get "ping: sendto: no buffer" and have to restart
networking.

I thought I had a decent install, I think, of NetBSD 1.5.

I put on the basic system and started doing some installing, compiling
configuring. Added a 9G SCSI disk in addition to the 6G IDE internal
drive. I could connect through telnet from my iMac and was working
away setting it up for real work. Then the telnet connections would
stop dead, with no response.

I could restart by loggin on to the machine as root and restarting
networking with /etc/rc.d/network restart. (is there a good way to
capture the output of this ? - I think the default install adds much
lot I'll never use. I can't really ask about it without capturing the
messages that are produced when networking starts so I can paste it
into a mail message.)

It was behaving well. (I haven't figured out how to get X going yet -
I want to run the server headless and use and X terminal program (MI/X
unless there is a better free Mac X out there) on my imac and most of
the instructions seem to have to do with using the NetBSD machine as
both Xclient and Xserver.) After I did the basic setup to enable
telnet and added my personal account to the wheel group, I was
telneting in to the NetBSD with Nifty Telnet. This is all on an
internal home network and I'd leave the connections up for long
periods of time. I never had more than two connections at the same
time.

If relevant or helpful:
PowerMacintosh 6500/300
Farallon FAST ETHERTX 10/100 PCI ETHERNET CARD

the output of dmesg that clearly (to me ) relates to networking.

NetBSD 1.5 (GENERIC) #1: Sun Nov 19 13:58:47 PST 2000
    matt@duel.local:/u1/kobj/GENERIC
CPU: 603ev (Revision 1201)
total memory = 65536 KB
avail memory = 55612 KB
using 844 buffers containing 3376 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0bandit0 at mainbus0
pci0 at bandit0 bus 0
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
pchb0: Apple Computer Bandit Host-PCI Bridge (rev. 0x03)
de0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
de0: interrupting at irq 23
de0: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 4.1
de0: address 00:00:c5:53:3b:dd