Subject: Re: tty00 and console support for Apple PCI Mac 7500 with 604
To: None <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/07/2001 21:03:02
At 9:07 PM -0700 5/7/01, James Tuman Nelson wrote:

:)I have loaded NetBSD 1.5 on a scsi ultrawide barracuda drive, using an
:)ultra-wide to 50m cable connector and running off of the external scsi
:)port of the box.  this is a PCI Mac 7500 with 128MB of memory and a 604
:)processor.

Glad you got it working.

:)As noted in previous correspondence, I have to use the serial port and
:)'zterm' on a laptop with this box for some unknown reason to
:)communicate.  This approach uses the tty00 serial device.  Everything
:)works fine, except when looking at man pages, or editing with vi.  Every
:)now and then it freezes the screen, and cannot recover.

Yeah, the serial port handling is known to have some problems.  It works
fine for most console-type applications, but fails miserably when trying to
do zmodem or ppp.  Why can't you use the keyboard/screen?

In Open Firmware, type:
setenv input-device kbd
setenv output-device /chaos/control
reset-all

:)I can telnet from another computer over an ethernet connection, and do
:)not have this problem under standard login without X-windows, though I
:)have some latency problems when telneting from an X-windows environment.

Check your resolv.conf.  This is a symptom of it trying to do a lookup of
the telnet client's address and failing.

Good luck,
  -- MW