Subject: tty00 and console support for Apple PCI Mac 7500 with 604
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/07/2001 21:07:54
For you information:

I have loaded NetBSD 1.5 on a scsi ultrawide barracuda drive, using an
ultra-wide to 50m cable connector and running off of the external scsi
port of the box.  this is a PCI Mac 7500 with 128MB of memory and a 604 processor.

As noted in previous correspondence, I have to use the serial port and
'zterm' on a laptop with this box for some unknown reason to
communicate.  This approach uses the tty00 serial device.  Everything
works fine, except when looking at man pages, or editing with vi.  Every
now and then it freezes the screen, and cannot recover.

I can telnet from another computer over an ethernet connection, and do
not have this problem under standard login without X-windows, though I
have some latency problems when telneting from an X-windows environment.
 This is the only way I can recover from the freeze on the tty00 line.
Also, when shutting down with "shutdown now" into single user mode, the
tty00 line does not recover.  I have to shut the machine down and
re-boot from scratch.

The problem "feels" like a ring buffer overflow of some type that occurs
during editing or using the man pager.  I have no other idea.  I did not
have this problem when using a scsi 2 device.  ZTERM is using XON XOFF.
I tried hardware, but ZTERM says CTS is not available.  Thus, I suspect
a buffer problem, or bad setting for tty00.

Jim Nelson