Subject: Re: running sysinst from floppy resets real-base. was Re: bootable iso image
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/29/2001 15:49:06
I was unable to duplicate the resetting of the real base when watching
carefully. I can only assume that I had miscalculated after accidently
effectively telling to boot a MacOS. I seem to be able to generate
tons of errors when I diverge from accepting defaults.

I kept more copious than usual notes on an install attempt and
attached them below. Anyone who feels really generous can point out
where I'm clueless. I'm really not sure which things constitutes
 bugs or failures; I suppose I have a working install in theory - just
nothing like the install I desire. I've given up trying to boot from
either CD at the moment or from the network because of the network
card problem. I was able to get it booted and running - networking is
working though I have a terrible disk layout, as I had to accept the
weird defaults for it to work, and I don't have dns going.

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 11:07:17AM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> At 1:23 PM -0400 4/28/01, josh@ssimr.com wrote:
>
> :)The install
> :)program wants to use tlp0 as the networking device, the actual device
> :)is a Farallon PCI card which is de0 after the install.
>
> I thought this had been fixed.  I'll file a PR.

Thanks - it is easier to instal over a network.

> :)Well its almost booting - I just have a file descriptor shortage,
> :)which keeps it from succeeding to boot all the way into multiuser mode
> :)and mounting the partitions.

Almost certailny something to do with what is and isn't an acceptable
partition layout. I can't tell from the existing docs. I assume there
are size and placement limits on the root and /usr partitions, and
perhaps on swap - so that if either thay are not a,b,and g, or their
size exceeds so many megabytes they fail.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@ssimr.com

An account of my PowerMacintosh 6500/300 installation. I have two PCI
cards a Farallon 10/100 NIC and an ATI XCLAIMPro. I am using a PC
monitor through the Mac video. I am pretty sure I saw a hardware list
somewhere on the NetBSD MacPPC pages saying my NIC was spported but I
can't find it at the moment.

Notes: various attempts leave my system in the following state - there
is no MacOS installed or desired. I'm running Open Firmware 2.0.3. I
have a copy of the boot floppy created by using rawrite, and the
boot.fs image.

Sadly, I can't set this up through the serial port.

partial output of 'dev / ls'

FF828518 /PowerPC,603@0
FF829170 /AAPL,ROM@FFC00000
FF83C4A8 /pci/106b,1@B
FF83C680 /ATY.265GT-B@12
FF841CD8 /pci 10b8,240 1@D
FF841FF8 /ATY,XCLAIMVRPro@E

partial output of 'printenv'

little-endian? false	false
real-mode?     false	false
auto-boot?     false	true
real-base      F00000	-1
real-size      100000	100000
virt-base      -1	-1
virt-size      100000	100000
load-base      600000	4000
pci-probe-list -1	-1
input-device	kbd	ttya
output-device  /bandit/ATY,264GT-B ttya

The three things I'm examing are

1. Why I'm winding up with tlp0 insteadn of de0 being used as the NIC device.

2. Verifying that the install program is resetting the real-base to -1

3. completing a bootable installation that will get to multi-user mode.

---------
i begin
-------
0 > boot fd:0

{comments are in braces like this, blank rows are added for readability
I make no effore to replicate the use of '-/|\' to show time}

>> NetBSE/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.2
>> (matt@duel.local, Thu Nov 16 17:26:57 PST 2000)
3691688

{too much stuff goes by when the boot up from the floppy completes for
me to capture}

Terminal type? [vt100]
Erase is backspace.
(I)nstall, (S)hell or (H)alt ?i
{brings up the menu for the sysinst program - I chose install}

My custom partitioning.

/ 200 MB
swap 192MB
/usr 1700MB
/var 100MB
/home 2100 MB
/db  - rest

This fails as far as I can tell because the disklabel
program loses the /usr partition. It displays

   Size    Offset  End      FStype  Bsize   Fsize Mount point
   ------- ------- -------- ------- ------- ----- ----------
a: 200     0       199      4.2BSD  8192    1024  /
b: 192     200     391      swap
c: 6149    0       6148     unused
f: 100     2093    2192     4.2BSD  8192    1024  /var
g: 2108    2193    4292     4.2BSD  8192    1024  /home
H: 1856    4293    6148     4.2BSD  8192    1024  /db

{since the partitions are not ok as displayed I select chage
a partition with the intention of making either e the /usr
since other than that it would be ok. 392 - 2092 size 1700 for
reasone mysterious I wind up with e as below}

e: 1699    392     2091      4.2BSD  8192    1024  /usr

{no idea why I lost the 2M - suspect I could have deleted all the
partitions and added them back in by hand. In any case I'm not
worrying about 2M so I chose partitions are OK and went on only to be
told that b and e overlap. I went back and declared them all
unused. Went back to the beginning and did this manually}

   Size    Offset  End      FStype  Bsize   Fsize Mount point
   ------- ------- -------- ------- ------- ----- ----------
a: 200     0       199      4.2BSD  8192    1024  /
b: 192     200     391      swap
c: 6149    0       6148     unused
d: 1702    392     2093     4.2BSD  8192    1024  /usr
e: 100     2094    2193     4.2BSD  8192    1024  /var
f: 2108    2194    4301     4.2BSD  8192    1024  /home
g: 1847    4302    6148     4.2BSD  8192    1024  /db

{This was accepted by the program. I did geet a warning 1 sector in
last cylinder unallocated which isn't really important to me.}

{I chose a full installation from cdrom }

All selected distribution sets unpacked successfully

{hit ok - get making device files - I chose america/ny as the time - it would be so much easier to just type in -5 /-4 - and skipped the root password on the theory that I will be doing this again soon. Then I went to configure the network which only has tlp0 - which is not a useable device}

Which device shall I use? [tlp0]: de0

I gave the following info

DNS Domain: ssimr.com
Host Name: powerpc
Host IP:   192.168.1.6
NetMask:   0xffffff00
Nameserver: 192.168.1.3
Gateway:    192.168.1.1
Media type: 10baseT

{ exited with instructions to reboot the computer

which it did?

OK printenv did not show a change in real base - so it must have been
triggered when a failed boot attempt switched it to mac boot mode. }

0> boot ata/ata-disk@0:0

{I missed most of the beginning, anyhow it start booting and the
messaes went by very fast.}

wdc0 at obio0 offset 0x20000 irq 13: DMA transfer
wd0: driver supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 6149 MB, 13328 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12594960 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2
adb0 at obio) offset 0x16000 irq 18: 1 targets
aed0 at adb0 addre 0: ADB Event device
akbd0 at adb0 addre 2: extended keyboard.
wskbd0 at akbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
ofb1 at pci0 dev18 fucntion0: ATI Technologies Mac64GT
ofb1: 1024 x768, 8bpp
wsdisply at ofb1 not configured
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle....
de0: enabling 10baseT port
cd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CD-8024, 2.0e> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
sd0 at scsibus0 target 5 lun 0: <IOMEGA, ZIP 100, E.08> SCSI2 0/direct removable
sd0: drive offline
mutliply freed item 0xe0196280
panic: free: duplicated free
Stopped in swapper at cpu_Debugger+0x10: lwz r0, r1, )x14,
db>

{I tried reboot from here on the repeat boot  }

de0: enabling 10baseT port
trap type 700 at e0112fc0
stopped in swapper at cpu_Debugger+0x10: lwz r0, r1, 0x14,

{so i decided lets do a reinstall with just the defaults }

boot fd:0

{ this time I just hit the return and chose standard with X
32 M /, 257M swap, 5868M /usr }

{This time I get to /etc/rc.conf not configured}

#mount -a
#export TERM=vt220
#vi /etc/rc.conf

{changed it to configured }

#useradd -m josh
#passwd josh
#reboot

{boot ata/ata-disk@0:0 from OF again, login as root}

#hostname powerpc

{ I can't find /dev/de0 and have no idea how to get the network devices?}

# cat >/etc/ifconfig.de0 inet 192.168.1.6 netmask 255.255.255.0
#/etc/rc.d/network restart

{ at this point I can ping and get out
though i still have no idea where de0 was lurking as a device.}