Subject: Re: Booting from 2940UW Controller
To: NetBSD <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/27/2001 08:20:02
Let me weigh in with some information.

The 2940UW flashers that are probably available to you are:

	v 3.0 - no open firmware
	v 4.1 "A/V"
	v 4.1 "standard"

The difference between the AV and non-AV versions, as I understand it, is
that there were some bugs in Apple's Open Firmware that did not
allow us to do the Open Firmware in the A/V PowerMacs.  As I recall,
the non-AV version would work on the "newer" machines, which at the time
was the B&W G3s, which _required_ OF for bootability.  The A/V version was
created to work around bugs in some subset of PMacs that were loosely
characterized as A/V.  I believe that the A/V version did *not*
have OF, but relied on the MacOS ROMs to load the driver.

The Open Firmware  on the 2940UW has not been updated since 4.1, and
the most recent cards have OF based on the 2940UW.  The more recent
cards have had to be fixed to repair various OF bugs in Adaptec's
OF.  The fixes were required on the newer machines so that stuff like
Apple's "picker" would work.  It does not surprise me that the 2940UW
does not work to boot NetBSD.  That OF was built and tested only with
MacOS in mind, although the authors *thought* they wrote it properly
and so that it was correct and complete, MacOS was the only test vehicle
available.

It is not likely that the 2940UW for Macintosh will get a rev any time
soon.

I hope this is helpful.

-dgl-