Subject: Re: 601 Processor
To: Louis Gerbarg <gerbal@cs.rpi.edu>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/26/2001 18:13:07
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Louis Gerbarg wrote:

> On 26 Apr 2001, Dan Winship wrote:
>
> > > add NetBSD support to bootX. As fas as I understand, BootX launch a UNIX
> > > kernel from the MacOS, and gives it a device tree similar to what we
> > > currently get from OpenFirmware.
> > >
> > > It seems to me that BootX support means that we would be able to boot
> > > NetBSD on machines without OpenFirmware too.
> >
> > I believe the current BootX used by Darwin/OS X is not really the same
> > as the old LinuxPPC BootX (it boots from OF, not Mac OS), so I think
> > that's not true.
>
> Different program, similiar purpose, same name. It is actually quite
> inconvenient. I am working on the OS X OpenFirmware based BootX, not the
> LinuxPPC Mac OS based application. Sorry.

	Yeah, we could refer to the OFW incarnation as bootx and the Linux
MacOS version as BootX, but that wouldn't help much.

	Someone on this list told me they hacked BootX (macos version) to
boot NetBSD on OFW machines. Don't remember who, and lost the email that
mentioned it.

	An opensource booter for NuBus machines has already been
written. Scan SourceForge for linux-NuBus-ppc. I seem to recall having
seen two or three different booters. BootX, MkLinux booter, and yaboot
(for OFW).

	The last time I was in the source code, I could swear I saw the
BAT assignments for the 601 already in -current. Is it just start.s that
needs to modified?

	Chris