Subject: Re: Booting from 2940UW Controller
To: James T. Nelson <jnelson@wiai.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/23/2001 17:44:12
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, James T. Nelson wrote:

> I updated the 2940 firmware to the latest version, using the AV version.
> Evidently, that was  mistake.  I also have the non-AV version of firmware
> for teh 2940.  Would it make sense to flash the 2940 with the non AV
> version?  Sounds like it would.    My 7500 was not purchased as an AV
> system.

	From what I read in the last message, yes. and it won't work
without it. The AV firmware version doesn't have enough OpenFirmware
support, it would require the Apple ROM to do the init through some type
of ROM glue or hook/kludge, probably something left over from NuBus.

> Can I use a floppy bootloader and kernel, such as the install disk.  There
> must be an "fstab" on the floppy that must be edited to make this work.

	Do you really want to wait 5 minutes for your machine to boot from
a compressed floppy image? I sure don't. a boot CDROM or ZIP maybe.

> I still do not understand why I cannot boot using ofwboot that is loaded
> from the installation disk, and then just enter the location of the netbsd
> that is to be booted.  The installation notes imply that this should be
> possible, eg:

	Because it has the AV firmware, as was previosly mentioned, but
why would you want to in the first place, when you can just boot from the
device directly? If the card had the other firmware, that command probably
would work. Otherwise, you would have to boot the kernel from another
device and then mount the drives attached to the 2940 as root/usr/etc.

> 0> boot  fd:0  /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/@6:0,netbsd
>
> Is this a limitation of ofwboot, or of the system architecture.  The apple
> boot loader /AAPL,ROM has no trouble pulling this off, somehow.

	Because the AV firmware probably has a hook into the Apple ROM
that initializes the card and allows it to be booted as such.

> Actually, when i execute:
>
> 0> boot fd:0 -a
>
> I get the prompt, "Boot:".  Is this "ofwboot" talking to me?

	Yes. boot /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/@6:0 -a would get you the same
ofwboot if it had the right firmware from what I understand.

	Chris