Subject: Dumb question re package source
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/23/2001 16:27:21
Navigating the packages web pages (ie
"ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/README.html" and children),
I can find out how to pull down precompiled packages and install them.
However, I can't find any way to pull down the source of a particular
package directly from the web and build from source.

I know I can pull down the source for the ENTIRE packages collection, but
for obvious reasons this is not desirable.  And due to security issues I
can't pull use the package command.

Is there a simple link to select that will slurp down the source for a
package?

A practical example:  I want to get MRT.  It's not in the list of built
packages at
"ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/net/mrt/README.html".
Fine, I'll grab the source and build it myself.

However, any documentation seems to assume that I WILL (read MUST) use the
package tree to do so.  Is there a way to grab the source of a SPECIFIC
package via HTTP/FTP without bringing the rest of the tree with it (more
specifically, via HTTP/FTP NOT on a NetBSD box)?

There is a link on the NetBSD MRT package page to the "Installation from
source", but that basically drops me back into "download the entire pkgsrc
distro system", and that is not an option.

Very confused / frustrated.

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com