Subject: Booting from 2940UW Controller
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/22/2001 18:20:11
Further, to my previous questions concerning booting NetBSD/macppc from
an Adaptec 2940UW controll:

Why can I not load the boot loader from the installation disk and boot
to  the hard disk on a 2940UW controller?  The approach would be:

boot   fd :0 -a

This brings up the boot prompt:   "Boot:"

Then, I should be able to boot to the scsi controller:

Boot:   /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/@6:0/netbsd

or

Boot: /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/@6:0,netbsd              (Not sure of the
syntax)

or, simply,

Boot:  /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/@6:0

When I do these, i get "device not configured".

Alternatively, should it not be possible to boot from open firmware as
follows:

0> boot   fd:0  /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/@6:0,netbsd

The installation notes suggest that this approach is possible.  That is,
load the boot loader from the installation floppy and use it to load
netbsd from the 2940, bypassing the ROM.

I am able to boot MACOS 8.5 from a scsi disk connected to the same 2940,
by the usual Apple methods, so the controller will boot a scsi disk
drive.  It works quite well.  I have upgraded the firmware in the 2940
with Adaptec's latest firmware upgrade (v 6, i believe)  However, the
keyword "open" does not appear in the words list when doing a "dev
/bandit/ADPT,2940UW" and then "words".  I get a lot of other words, so
open firmware is finding the controller properly.

Also, I can read the scsi disk with the netbsd partitions just fine when
booting to the NetBSD installation floppy.  So the controller is
compatible with NetBSD.

Has any one been able to boot netbsd from a scsi disk on a 2940UW disk
controller for a power mac?  Is there a special ROM.

I have a Power Mac 7500 with a 604 processor.  I have run NetBSD/macppc
from an external Jaz drive connected to the 7500's external scsi
interface, which has the necessary boot rom with the open firmware word
"open", and it ran fine (burned up the Jaz, though).

I gather from the FAQ that the correct specification for the boot device
and boot file is

setenv boot-device   /bandit/ADPT,2900UW/@6:0
setenv boot-file         /bandit/ADPT,2900UW/@6:0,netbsd

This does not work, however.

A final question:  What are the commands available with ofwboot.xcf, or
bootfx.  That is, after booting to fd:0 -a ?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Nelson