Subject: boot on a powerbook G4
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Louis Foucart <louis@geneura.ugr.es>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/20/2001 20:36:14
Hi everybody,

I have a problem booting netbsd on my powerbook G4.
First here is the version of my Open Firmware with info about the
powerbook:

Apple PowerBook3,2 3.3.6f5 BootROM built on 11/12/00 at 21:26:37
Copyright...

I didn't apply the patch Open Firmware 4.1.7-4.1.8.

I've downloaded the last version (NetBSD 1.5.1beta) and I put it on an
hybrid cd (hfs/iso burned with Nero and the option HFS). I can boot from
it with Open Firmware and the command :

boot cd:,ofwboot.elf netbsd.ram

but then I have this problem :

console keyboard type: ADB
Copyright...
Copyright...
NetBSD 1.5.1_BETA (FLOPPY) #2 Mon Apr 9 09:52:51 PDT 2001
   matt@duel . local:/u1/kobj/FLOPPY
CPU: Version ffff800c (Revision 1102)
total memory = 128 MB
avail memory = 109 MB
using 1664 buffers containing 6656 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0md0: Internal 2048K image area
boot device: <unknown>
root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs
panic: cnopen: cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV

syncing disks... done
dumpsys: TBD
rebooting

and at the bottom in little (OF font) I have this line :
method <`usb-kbd-ihandle> not found; ihandle=ffbc7d80 phandle=ff8ef8e0
MAC-PARTS: LOAD (noninterposed) not supported_

Then it reboots.
I started the System Disk tool and then it freeze (so I could note these
information because otherwise it reboots directly). So I tried to remove
the changes (nvram patches at least). But looking at the env of OF,
use-nvramrc is already false. So the method in the doc could not work. I
just change to the first disk (Open Firmware) and then I reboot. I have
the same problem but in the little line at the end I have another thing
replacing MAC-PARTS... which is can't OPEN:...(a device cd or hd).

I tried to download the netbsd.ram kernel from an HFS+ partition but it
doesn't work, I have an error which looks like LOAD-SIZE not ok.

What can I do ? Should I put the OF patch ?

Thank you for your attention,

Louis.

ps: someone knows where to fin the darwin 1.3.1 on a ftp site (on th web
site it doesn't work, too big to download).