Subject: Re: support for the latest G4s
To: 'port-macppc@netbsd.org' <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/17/2001 11:41:54
I have at work both a G4 AGP and Cubes running dual boot Mac OS X (and 9.1)
and NetBSD.  I installed from the NetBSD "Official" release CD (blue jewel
case, grey CD printing, 2 CD pack) we purchased from Linux Systems Labs
(http://www.lsl.com.au/).  I just checked, and the publication we purchased
doesn't seem to be there any more, although two other distros are.

About a week a go I posted to the list complete instructions for building a
dual boot Cube or G4 using the 1.5 distro from the CD sources we used.  They
basic principle is the same for any dual boot G4 build, but some install
files might not work as expected.  Specifically, boot.fs is apparently for
floppy machines only and shouldn't work properly on a non ADB machine, but
the version on the CD worked fine for me.

Alternatively, Charles M Hannum posted on 24 Mar 2001 describing an
alternative process for doing it, booting from ethernet rather than the HFS+
drive.  Chris doesn't mention that you'll get all sorts of errors from
disklabel and newfs (which can safely be ignored), and his 'pax' syntax
didn't work for me, but otherwise the instructions are similar.

PS: Did anyone besides me get my instructions?  Considering how often the
questions have been asked I would have expected a least a few comments (or
"Doesn't work for me because ..."), but the silence has been deafening.

Side note:  I have X (HFS+) and FFS partitions on the same drive,
partitioned with drive setup, and haven't had any problems.  Oh, except when
I accidently ran newfs from X on the FFS partitions, but fsck was able to
fix that.

Is there any concrete development on HFS+ drivers for NetBSD or FFS drivers
for Darwin.  To move files between the NetBSD and Darwin worlds, I currently
have to FTP to remote machine, reboot, and FTP back down.  This is a little
cumbersome.

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com