Subject: Re: Preserving Apple partition map (Was: ATA/66 Controllers)
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/15/2001 01:20:34
At 4:58 AM +0000 4/15/01, Martin J. Laubach wrote:

:)|
:)|  The standard one is: "APPLE_UNIX_SVR2". We're also starting to use
:)|  "NETBSD" since MacOS X seems to use APPLE_UNIX_SVR2 too, and will mess up
:)|  NetBSD partitions.
:)
:)  Ah, so I wasn't hallucinating when my netbsd partition was trashed
:)after I booted darwin...

Huh.  I haven't had any problems with MacOS X trashing the partitions I
created in Drive Setup for NetBSD.

Maybe this only occurs when you've got UFS partitions?  I've only got HFS
and FFS.

In any case WE CAN'T USE SYSINST TO INSTALL NETBSD ON OPENFIRMWARE 3 MACHINES.

I hate to shout, but this is pretty annoying since it *should* be a simple
matter to allow sysinst to *not* overwrite the Apple Partition Map.

:)  However, all these tidbits are covered under the Apple Open
:)Source License, which doesn't look acceptable for inclusion in NetBSD.
:)So should we ignore those snippets? Beg Apple to release them under a
:)BSD license?

I believe that if the code is worth bothering with we can "clean-room" it.
I'm not sure of the details, but the idea is for one programmer to describe
the algorithm to another programmer complying with the conditions of the
license.  The second programmer then re-implements the code for NetBSD.

  -- MW