Subject: supported NICs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Zeller <bzeller@hds.harvard.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/13/2001 10:26:08
</lurk>

Howdy,

I'm going to be setting up on old 8500 as a proxy server in a week or so and
am
about to go shopping on eBay for a second NIC.  The FAQ is a little vague
about
supported NICs, stating that any "Tulip-compatible, 3Com, and
NE2000-compatible
PCI cards (de, ep, and ne drivers)" would work -- is that all?  The
Machine-independent PCI drivers would seem to indicate that a lot more PCI
NICs
are supported.  In searching the mailing list archives I found Donald Lee's
trail of woes last April in trying to find a 10/100 card that worked properly
in
his box -- are there any good recommendations out there, or should I just go
with a Tulip, 3Com (3C905's are pretty cheap), or NE2000 card (NE2000's came
in
PCI flavors? I thought just ISA...)?