Subject: Re: New user of PowerMacG4
To: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/13/2001 17:26:01
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Andrew White wrote:

> "Ciarcinski, Adam (ISS Brussels)" wrote:
>
> > - I have NetBSD on second IDE disk, but it is not possible to boot
> >   it when there are two IDE disks on the same cable.  It look like
> >   the problem described in FAQ as 'pciide:0:0:1 lost interrupt'.
> >   (It's 'wd0:' in my case).  I must connect the disk on the separate
> >   cable.
>
> Try putting the NetBSD disk as the primary (master) HD on the cable.  The
> NetBSD kernel I've got always tries to boot from wd0 (regardless of where
> the kernel itself is), and with a two disk on 1 cable setup the slave device
> seems to reliably be wd1.

That's not his problem. His problem is that there was a bug in how we
initialize the pciide chips such that if OFW accessed it, we won't be able
to.

This bug was tracked down on the sparc64 (where it crashed rather than
causing a silent error). It's fixed in -current, and I think in 1.5.1

Take care,

Bill