Subject: Dual-boot NetBSD / MacOS * Cube
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/09/2001 15:13:48
Current state of play:

Have NetBSD installed on ffs partition 10.  Can boot netbsd from copy of
kernel (taken from macppc/binary/sets/kern.tgz) on HFS+ partition 9.
	0 > boot hd:9,netbsd
Problem: This gets confused about how to bootstrap the filesystem and I have
to type the data manually while fighting keyboard errors.

Tried using ofwboot.{elf,xcf} resident on hd:9, but these don't seem work.
hd:9,netbsd gets errors about missing files (can't find netbsd), while
hd:10,netbsd tells me that the partition is not valid.  The missing file
error is odd, since either bootloader can find hd:9,boot.fs.

On the twin disk G4, where disk 0 is netbsd formatted, I boot using a
cross-disk boot.  The bootloader is ultra1:10,ofwboot.xcf (on a HFS+
partition), while the kernel is ultra0:0,netbsd (hd:0:0,netbsd).
	0 > boot ofwboot.xcf ultra1:10,ofwboot.xcf ultra0:0,netbsd

As far as I can tell, I'm using the same kernels and bootloaders in each
case.

Any suggestions?  I'm particularly bemused as to why the bootloader can find
(or open) 'hd:9,boot.fs' but not 'hd:9,netbsd'.

PS: Does anyone else have an error with their cube where restarting into OF
with auto-boot? = false?  Sometimes OF screen driver fails to initialise,
resulting in a blank screen.  I frequently have this problem on the cube,
but the G4 seems fine.  OF is there, because typing "shut-down" or
"mac-boot" produces the correct response (including working screen).

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com