Subject: Re: [HOWTO] Installing on a recent Mac (DRAFT 1)
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/06/2001 16:34:09
Charles,

There's quite a few of us here marvelling at step 4 in your instructions.
Marvelling because when we type 'newfs /dev/rwd0a' on our cubes it spits
back some error about refusing to write to the disklabel, which sort-of
invalidates everything else.  Can you tell us exactly which version of the
boot kernel you used?

For reference, boot.fs on the netbsd "official" distro CD boots from a HFS+
partition, but disklabel fails (sysinst works, but as you said clobbers the
ENTIRE disk).  I have not managed to get either of the other kernels
(netbsd.macppc, netbsd.ram.gz, netbsd.GENERIC.gz) to boot from HFS nor from
CD rom.

The version 1.5 kernel I'm running on the dual disk G4 works fine, but it
also refuses to newfs the BSD partitions on the second (Apple
multi-partitioned) HD.

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com