Subject: Re: B&W G3 keyboard problems
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2001 03:09:54
On 04/04/2001 06:41:33 PM EST Bob Nestor wrote:

>Is it possible the problem isn't in the USB code but in the code that
>handles OF or some general keyboard handling code?  The reason I bring
>this up is that replacing the USB keyboard and mouse with an ADB one on
>my B&W G3 yields the error:
>
>  method <'adb-kbd-ihandle> not found;
>
>But with the USB keyboard I get:
>
>  method <'usb-kbd-ihandle> not found;
>
>In both cases the keyboards are dead.

Yes, with current -current the USB keyboard doesn't work here,
too. (ADB not checked).

I made the following "fix" to enable my USB keyboard:
(for sys/arch/macppc/macppc/machdep.c; version from
Tsubai Masanari <tsubai@iri.co.jp>)

---------
*** machdep.c~		 Mon Apr  2 23:10:58 2001
--- machdep.c		 Mon Apr  2 23:12:21 2001
***************
*** 914,924 ****
--- 914,929 ----
  		 }
  #endif

+ #if 1
+ 		 printf("console keyboard type: USB\n");
+ 		 ukbd_cnattach();
+ #else
  		 /*
  		  * No keyboard is found.  Just return.
  		  */
  		 printf("no console keyboard\n");
  		 return;
+ #endif

  kbd_found:
  		 /*
---------

So, funny is, pressing any key repeats it endlessly, but pressing
shift locks the keyboard. (As I said, only with the Apple KB, a
generic USB PC keyboard works fine with the patch above and w/o
hitting a shift key).

regards,
chris