Subject: Re: Powerbook G4 Titanium install problem
To: None <russm@webtime.com.au>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2001 08:55:36
>>>>> "russm" ==   <russm@webtime.com.au> writes:

    russm> I see that you (or your helpfull Apple retailer) has run
    russm> the 4.1.8 firmware upgrade on your laptop.

Me! I couldn't manage it with the existing firmware and
'http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-bugs' states
something like 'If you have a mac with Open Firmware 3.0 or higher,
you might be able to download a new Firmware for your machine on the
Apple Software Updates web site.' That's what I did then...

    russm> Unfortunately this appears to break NetBSD on these
    russm> machines.

Sigh, is there a way back (to a working firmware version)?

At the moment my tibook is completely 'broken' because it no longer
activates the display after booting!? Even Command-Option-P-R doesn't
change this misbehavior. (Also an 4.1.8 firmware upgrade effect?)
Anything I can do here?

    russm> The 3 kernels I've tried (netbsd.titanium.gz, and
    russm> netbsd.ram.gz/netbsd.GENERIC.gz from the 20010323 snapshot)
    russm> all fail slightly differently early in the boot, which iirc
    russm> they didn't before I flashed my machine.

Hmm, I was too impatient with my existing firmware, I guess.

But, as I read, you upgraded your tibook firmware to 4.1.8, too!? ->
What are you going to do about that?

    russm> I'm using ofwboot.elf from 20010323, and what I see is -
    russm> [...]
    russm> netbsd.GENERIC.gz: [...] and stops.

At least, I'm not alone.

    russm> I can't offer to fix this, but if there's anything I can do
    russm> to help troubleshoot i'd be more than happy to. I also have
    russm> intermittant access to factory fresh laptops before they
    russm> get flashed if that helps.

What is the 'right' firmware for a tibook? And how/where to get it?

Regards, Markus.