Subject: Re: How to boot netbsd on iMac...
To: Emre <emre@srengineering.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/27/2001 17:35:53
On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Emre wrote:

:       	boot cd:ofwboot.xcf -a
:       	boot cd:ofwboot.elf -a

: I've tried boot cd:ofwboot.elf -a, since OF 3 won't support ofwboot.xcf on
: ISO 9660.  It gave me the same error.  I also tried booting the kernel
: straight from the CD, also didn't work.  What else can I do?  Obviously I
: can't downgrade OF so I can boot .xcf, and .elf won't boot.

XCOFF files do work on OFW 3 -- README lies (slightly).  Neither of the
above commands work for you?

What *should* happen, with properly created CDs, is that the ofwboot boot
loader will ask you for the kernel, to which you can respond
"netbsd.macppc".

I don't know what vendor pressed this CD, but the ones from the NetBSD
Mission and Wasabi Systems have the proper CD layout to work on all OFW
versions.  It sounds like BSD Central is doing their own CD mastering -- and
botching the whole process.

If you feel like burning your own boot CD, try the following image.  It's
ready-to-burn, including filesystem info and everything, so don't create a
CD with this as a file -- burn it as *raw data*.

    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/iso/macppccd.iso

This version will boot *properly* on all macppc's.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/