Subject: Re: NetBSD port to Apple Nubus powermacs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/26/2001 01:58:45
gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

[NuBUS support]

> The short story is that two things need to happen: macppc needs
> nubus support and it needs 601 support.
>
> The first we can *maybe* steal from mac68k, though it means booting
> in the same way that does (through MacOS) since nubus macs have no
> convenient way of getting hardware handles (OpenFirmware does this
> on PCI macs), which the mac68k port solves by having MacOS hand
> the kernel the device handles.

Well, I once had a Performa 5200 (which I passed away recently, btw),
and I did research the possibility of porting NetBSD to it. These
5200 machines basicly consist of a Quadra 630(?) with a built-in
PowerPC processor replacement card - apart from the fact that the
original m68k is gone. The PowerPC 'talks' to the rest of the machine
via a custom Bus Translation Unit (called Valkyrie, IIRC), which turned
out to be the main culprit: I couldn't find any usefull information about
that one. Very annoying.

MkLinux supposedly supports these machines - I never got it to working,
probably because of the difference between a US-5200 and a European one.

> The second needs some pretty low-level work, as later PPCs differ
> in rather important ways from the 601. The bright side is that if
> you choose to write 601 support, you'll still make a lot of people
> (anyone with an x200 PowerMac) happy, and you'll already be bootable
> because of the OF stuff.

Hmm. The 5200 is most definately not Open Firmware, and has a 603
processor..

--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333