Subject: root fs on non-"a" partition?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/17/2001 22:05:12
All,

I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.5 on a PowerBook G3 (Lombard).  I have
the PB setup to multiboot (currently, I have MacOS 9, MacOS X beta and
LinuxPPC all installed and running :) ).  Since the system is
multiboot, my disk has an Apple Partition map and not a BSD partition
map (since I need HFS partitions for MacOS).  For installing Linux &
NetBSD, I created two Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root partitions, one to hold
Linux, and one to hold NetBSD (there's also a third Apple_UNIX_SVR2
swap partition which I plan to share between Linux & NetBSD; since
this will be a personal system, I didn't bother w/ separate partitions
for /usr, /var, etc).  I installed Linux in the first partition and
NetBSD in the second (I had to do the NetBSD install manually, btw, as
sysinst seemed to want to repartition my whole drive; a manual "newfs
; tar x ... ; MAKEDEV ; edit /etc/fstab" worked fine though).

Unfortunately, given the order of the partitions, NetBSD treats the
Linux partition as the "a" partition, while the NetBSD partition is
seen as the "h" partition (the swap partition is seen as the "b"
partition, though).  I can boot the netbsd kernel off h w/o a problem,
but unfortunately, the kernel is unable to spawn "init".  I'm assuming
this is because it's looking for init on partition "a" and not
partition "h".  My PB screen is almost completely dimmed at this
point (see my other email :) ), but as far as I can tell, the kernel
prints "root on wd0" and "swap on wd0b" (note the lack of any
partition identifier for root) just before it tries to spawn init.

Is there any way to tell the kernel (short of recompiling a new one)
to use partition "h" as the root filesystem?  I would have assumed it
would have used the partition holding the kernel image...

Thanks,

John