Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 boot
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: David Henderson <davidh@huey.jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/2001 08:53:10
Hello Manuel,

>Hi again,
>Its floppy drive is dead so I have to boot from cdrom.
>I used the macppccd.iso image from pub/NetBSD/misc (it's bootable, rigth ?)
>I'm also playing with a performa 5400/160 (which should be supported :).

Well, when I downloaded it and started to burn it using Toast, Toast
claimed it was a hybrid ISO/HFS CDROM. This species isn't advertised to
work with any firmware younger than version 3,0, which comes with late
model mac's. I made my own.

Procedure:

1: Make sure Fetch is in Binary mode (These are mostly Unix binary files.
Even text files need to preserve the endline characters because you will be
reading them on Unix)

2. use Fetch and Get Files/Directories to get the NetBSD 1.5/macppc pretty
much in one pass. I had one destination folder called NetBSD15 and macppc
within it.

3. There are some files in macppc/binary/sets that Fetch doesn't get
because they are aliases (symbolic links): misc.tgz, man.tgz and xfont.tgz.
Make sure they are downloaded.

4. Put ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.ram.gz on the top level. Because I wan't
certain of how the firmware would behave, I gunzip'd netbsd.ram.gz on a
unix machine and placed netbsd.ram on the top level as well. note well:
These are BINARY files.

5. Select ISO disk as the volume format within Toast. Drag in your NetBSD15
folder holding macppc directory. The folder name "NetBSD15" becomes the
volume name.

6. Make sure you have a strict ISO disk. Using mac names didn't work for
me. Toast will map all file names into an 8x3 format, and some of them will
get mangled.

7. Burn it

An aside: SystemDisk is ineffective on my machine because Apple doesn't
support Motorola Starmaxen. Using Suntar, I had to write boot.fs to a hard
drive to get the parition 0 boot loader. I installed on different hard
drive.

Good luck,

David

P.S.-
By the way, scsi device 3 is usually the CDROM drive on Apple Mac's. You
are booting from device 0. Is this what you want to do?

Also, I found that setting load-base and real-base was essential to success.