Subject: Re: Newbie macppc user with some problems/questions
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/04/2001 17:44:20
At 12:10 AM +0100 1/5/01, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>Hi!
>
> >  From my ofwboot draft man page:  The partition number will be deleted
> > on Open Firmware versions 1 and 2, and will be forced to zero on Open
> > Firmware 3 or greater.
> >
> > You can specify a partition number for where ofwboot comes from, but
> > not for where ofwboot looks.
>
>That's a bit confusing for me, because
>	boot hd:,ofwboot.elf hd:
>doesn't work for me, while
>	boot hd:,ofwboot.elf hd:10
>does.
>
>I can also enter 'hd:10' on the 'Boot: ' prompt of ofwboot, that also
>works.

How about "hd:,"?  As I recall the parsing is pretty stupid and it
needs a "," or a "/" to distinguish a device spec from a file path.
It could be looking for the file /hd: on the default partition on the
default device.  (The error messages might even hint at this.)  It
just tries to accommodate the OF syntax without fully implementing
it, probably because the underlying OF doesn't always implement it
either.

The user input is parsed by the same routines that parse the
environment variables or the OF boot command line arguments so you
won't get any new capability by using the -a option;  just easier
testing.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.