Subject: Re: Performa 6200 - minor success
To: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/16/2000 15:57:58
On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Roger Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The good news is that it very nearly worked with 'Mach_Kernel.PERFORMA3.gz'
> and installation on an IDE.
>
> Problems were
>
> (a) colours all wrong - presumably a CLUT problem

Problem at 8 bits/pixel.  16 bpp mode should work, but of course, that
limits you to 640x480.  Probably pretty easy to fix, but not sure what's
wrong, exactly.

> (b) IDE errors make the system unusable, eventually the system started
> hammering the disk, sounds like it's doing a hard seek to track zero (or
> park the head) when it does the retries, it got into a loop reseting the
> drive so I had to call it a day.

Odd.  I haven't ever seen this.  I've seen it give occasional timeouts.
They're caused by a poorly designed motherboard.  It's almost impossible
to get around that.  But if you're getting into a loop, then that's a bug
in MkLinux.  Try hitting command-power and see if that gets it running
again.  If not, I'm not sure what's up.  Might be different behaviour of a
different IDE drive or something.

> If the IDE and SCSI problems can be sorted it should be a good little
> system.

SCSI basically needs pdma mode support.  No idea how to do that on the
53C94, though.

Later,
David

                    Check out my weekly web comic: